[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Breaking News - Pioneer "Smokey" Camaro

Breaking News - Pioneer "Smokey" Camaro

Latest Slot Car News - ALL SCALES

Breaking News - Pioneer "Smokey" Camaro

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Was just informed the long awaited "Best Damn Garage in Town" Smokey Camaro goes on sale TOMORROW!

Here are new images as well as some you might have seen.

Really like this box art. Well done!

Now this one WILL come here :)

Thanks Jules!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Breaking News - Pioneer "Smokey" Camaro

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:24 pm

Guess I'm going to have to squeeze this one into my reduced slot car budget.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Yep mines on order already. Brs hobbies :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Oh man! That is a DEFINITE "buy"!!!
Thanks for the heads up Harry! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TsgtRet » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:37 pm

I have 2 Pioneer Camaros and in "stock" form they seem to be a bit quicker than the Mustang notchback. With this livery that should make this an all around winner! :text-bravo:
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:06 pm

This is a great looking and iconic car that is on my wish list.

Does anyone know if the car ever actually ran in Trans Am races back in the day? The Historic Trans Am site has images of a restored version competing in current vintage races, but doesn't cite any original drivers. Though the car is attributed to Smokey Yunick, it's my understanding he was the builder and not the driver, as is the case with the equally iconic #11 black and gold Mustang which was built for but never actually competed in a Trans Am race.

Can someone with the now out of print Trans Am books confirm this?

Thank you.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby JULES » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Slothead,

I spent some time researching this car and along the way managed to get some time with David Tom who restored the car prior to its sale to the Edelbrock family (current owners). I trimmed done all the available info and wrote it up on the Vehicle Data Card that comes with this model. Below is a brief synopsis from the card:-

Jules

This notorious Camaro, built by Smokey Yunick in 1968, made its debut at the Sebring Trans-Am race. When it finally passed the SCCA technical inspection, it got out to qualify and equalled the time set by Mark Donohue. Success in the race was short lived as the 302 motor let go in a spectacular way at nearly 10,000rpm on lap 43. What secret engine developments was Smokey testing in that race? History does not record the exact details but the special developments under hood had proved it to be a very quick car.

Very few of the original Trans-Am cars have held the attention of race fans and continue to generate as much interest as this #13 Camaro. Oddly enough, this car never actually won a race whilst run by Smokey Yunick. The fame and notoriety surrounding #13 mainly stems from the subsequent discoveries over the years of exactly what Smokey had done to this car in a rule-bending (creative!) and innovative way using all of his engineering expertise. It was not just pushing the limits of the 302 engine that Smokey was renowned for – many adaptations of the running gear and impressive innovations were employed by Smokey to gain extra speed. Unusual techniques were also used to lighten any component or body panel that could loose a little weight and aid performance and these stories have all added to the mystique of the car and contributed to the legendary status of Smokey Yunick.

Don Yenko purchased the car in 1969, painted it white and went on to win the 1969 Daytona GT race. It remained in Don’s possession until his death in 1987. Some time after this, the car was discovered by David Tom. It was buried in a snow bank in Syracuse, New York. David then instigated a major restoration to bring it back to life. More information can be found in David’s excellent book entitled ‘The Cars of Trans-Am Racing, 1966-1972'.
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:17 pm

I hope you've made the roofline 2mm lower than standard Jules!! And removed about 5 winds off the armature, you know, just enough to give you an advantage but not enough to get caught during tech inspection. ;)

Very nice. :D
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:34 pm

Better than that, Doc. For extra realism, we sprinkled some iron filings inside the can motor so that at 10,000rpm the motor explodes. You want authenticity - you got it.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Jules

Thanks for the reply and info. This will make a great addition to my Trans Am field and I will be ordering one this month to become my 17th Camaro competing against 17 Mustangs. And I still wouldn't mind a few more Javelins to go with the two RMS resin ones in my field.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Some places are wanting a premium price for this one, $79.95. I looked on the Brs webstore and couldn't find it.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Now that is the car I had been waiting for just love that color combo and the history behind it.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:39 pm

dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Nice! I think he made this one just for you Harry! ;)
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby chappy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Ordered mine this afternoon .
I am still laid up with the flu, and feeling sorry for myself.
I find spending money makes me feel better until the bills come in. :laughing-rolling:

Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Next

Return to Slot Car News!