Changing driver station locations for a new perspective

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Changing driver station locations for a new perspective

Postby VTECFOUR » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:53 pm

The guys I run with made an interesting suggestion for my small and twisty 8 ' x 12' three-lane layout. Why not rotate the track and change the driver station locations for a new perspective? Hmmm. I've got the room to maneuver the track on the table to a new position and there's enough area for drivers to move. I tried it with a controller with extra long wires and it does feel like a new layout.

The controller stations are presently at the shorter 8' end with view of the cars from the top and back running up the hill, counter-clockwise, my preferred direction.

The change would be to the 12' long end so you see the cars from the side going up the hill.

I was going to start on the landscaping (after 8 years) so this might be the opportune time.

Dan
Last edited by VTECFOUR on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Rotating the track for a new perspective

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I have found the same thing! To aid in running a couple of the proxies where we were short on marshals, I made up an extension set up that allows me to race from anywhere around the track. Doing so DEFINITELY changes the feel due to the change in perspective! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: Rotating the track for a new perspective

Postby RichD » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:42 am

I have raced on a number of tracks that have the driver's stations spread around. Often this is done because there is not enough space to have the driver's stations side by side, in other cases it is done so that the drivers can marshal crashed cars without having to walk very far. The effect is that the view will be different from each station and learning to drive all of the lanes will be more difficult. I suppose that if you only race on one track you would soon get used to that, if you race on as many different tracks as I do that becomes more of a problem.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Changing driver station locations for a new perspective

Postby dreinecke » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:00 am

Dan,

I like the view change! As for the driver's stations in other areas - that is how I designed my track in order to make each lane unique as well as to help with marshaling.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: Changing driver station locations for a new perspective

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:15 pm

My first wood track (of the modern era) was a three lane 7'X12' oval with optionional infield road track mixed in. It was on rollers so I could move it around my shop so it had access all the way around. I installed the drivers stations scattered all the way around. Each lane drove very differently thanks to the changing perspective. I am currently building a similar shape and size wood digital track. I plan to scatter the six drivers stations all of the way around as well.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to The Lumber Yard