Solo racing - Trans Am Challenge - Final results!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Solo racing - Trans Am Challenge - Final results!

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Trans Am Challenge – final race report:

Points standings after race # 6: (pts) * = race wins
1) Pepsi62 - #42 Cuda (50 pts) *
2) RMS racing - #2 Mustang (45.5 pts) *
3) Hksk25 - #19 Camaro (43 pts) *
4) Chappy - #28 Mustang (42 pts) * *
5) Vonsirius - #13 Camaro (41.5 pts) * *
6) CJR - #1J Javelin (40.5 pts) *
7) Artus - #40 Camaro (40.5 pts)
8) BARC1 - #22 Mustang (40.5 pts)
9) TL racing - #41 Cougar (39.5 pts)
10) CARacing - #8 Firebird (38 pts)
11) Arroldn - #77 Challenger (35.5 pts)
12) Tusco Todd - #1 Camaro (35.5 pts)

Starting grid for race #7: 1) Tusco Todd, 2) Arroldn, 3) CARacing, 4) TL racing, 5) BARC1, 6) Artus, 7) CJR, 8) Vonsirius, 9) Chappy, 10) Hksk25, 11) RMS racing, 12) Pepsi62

As the grid formed for race #7, the outcome of the series was on the line. Winning race #6 put the Cuda of Pepsi62 on top of the points standings, and also relegated it to last place on the starting grid. In the center of the grid only 1 ½ points separated the cars starting in positions 5 thru 8,

The cars starting up front (Tusco Todd, Arroldn, CARacing, and TL racing) were determined to fend off challengers, the cars in mid-pack (BARC1, Artus, CJR, and Vonsirius) needed to get to the front where enough points to win the championship were to be had. The cars at the back (Chappy, Hksk25, RMS, and Pepsi62) needed to move up and add to their narrow points leads. Every team was under pressure as the field took the green flag and began 40 laps of heated competition.

The questions about race #7 began to be answered on lap 3 when Pepsi62 moved his ‘Cuda past RMS racing’s Mustang to take over 11th place, and on lap 5 when Pepsi62 passed HKSK25 for 10th place. Between laps 5 and 9 Atrus moved his Camaro from 6th to 3rd place and became a real contender. But, Tusco Todd and Arroldn clung to the top 2 positions. It was not until Pepsi62 passed TL racing on lap 9, Vonsirius on lap 10, and BAC1 & CARacing on lap 11 to get to 5th place that things got really interesting. At this point CJR had moved up to 4th place and was challenging Artus, but when the Javelin spun and went off the track on lap 15 and ended up at the rear of the field any chance of a top finish was wiped out.

CJR’s incident put Pepsi62 in 4th place with the series championship in sight. It took just 4 more laps for Pepsi62’s ‘Cuda to get by Artus, Arroldn, and Tusco Todd to take over the lead. By lap 20 the outcome of the race and series was pretty much in the bag, with only the runner up positions to be settled. In the end Tusco Todd was able to hold on for 2nd place, Artus got to 3rd, and Arroldn & BARC1 rounded out the top 5. While Pepsi62’s drive from last to first was amazing and there was no doubt who deserved to be the series champion, praise also goes out to Tusco Todd for holding off all other challengers for 2nd place and likewise to Arroldn’s Challenger for a great run and 4th place finish.

Finishing order for race #7: 1) Pepsi62, 2) Tusco Todd, 3) Artus, 4) Arroldn, 5) BARC1, 6) Vonsirius, 7) Chappy, 8) RMS racing, 9) CARacing, 10) Hksk25, 11) TL racing, 12) CJR.

Final point standings: (pts) * = wins
1) Pepsi62 - #42 AAR Cuda (65 pts) * *
2) Artus - #40 Camaro (50.5 pts)
3) RMS racing - #2 Mustang (50.5 pts) *
4) BARC1 - #22 Mustang (48.5 pts)
5) Vonsirius - #13 Camaro (48.5 pts) * *
6) Chappy - #28 Mustang (48 pts) * *
7) Tusco Todd - #1 Camaro (47.5 pts)
8) Hksk25 - #19 Camaro (46 pts) *
9) Arroldn - #77 Challenger (44.5 pts)
10) CARacing - #8 Firebird (42 pts)
11) TL racing - #41 Cougar (41.5 pts)
12) CJR - #1J Javelin (41.5 pts) *

The Trans Am Challenge series was a lot of fun and the championship wasn’t determined till the second half of the last race, and just like in full scale racing a spin or accident by the leader would have changed everything. But, Pepsi62 drove the AAR Cuda to victories in the final two races and ended up dominating the point standings.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Solo racing - Trans Am Challenge - Final results!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Barc Racing Headquarters

Khaleesi isn't going to be happy. We did get it turned around and forth is respectable. Mother of Dragons, Queen of the Dothraki, Free'er of slaves,isn't going to be thrilled adding, misser of podium to her title.

I better get out of here before she gets back.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Well that was fun. Now my question. Are these real cars running or is this all computer simulation? If a simulation is the computer basing all cars with same motor or the motor that came in the actual cars? Just curious. Congratulations to our winner. I should have kept the Cuda :doh:

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Arroldn

I used the real cars whose photos I posted at the beginning - 8 Scalextric, 3 Pioneer, and 1 SCX (the winning Cuda). All are stock RTR cars with PG tires and loosened body screws. The Challenger got a motor swap thanks to a white kit chassis. I ran all the laps for each car, doing my best for each. My timer records the cumulative time for each lap then I put it all in a spreadsheet and do a little math to get each lap time. For the final race I recorded 45 laps per car times 12 cars. All the data goes into a file that my program reads and simulates all the cars racing at the same time. In the program the track is divided into 50 sectors, and a cars time for the current lap is divided by 50 to determine how long it will be in each sector, then it is moved to the next sector. Each car is moved ahead when it's time in the current sector is up. Right now each car is represented by a marker that is moved left to right across the screen each lap so I can watch cars catching up to others and making passes. In the next version the markers will be going around a crude version of the track. But the math will be the same so the outcomes will too. (Unless I decide to handle passing differently and then a given pass could be easier or harder depending on local traffic.)

The Scalextric Javelin seemed to be the fastest car but it must have lured me into going too fast because it had a lot of spins and deslots. The SCX Cuda just got faster as the races went on. Knowing it doesn't have a reputation for speed I double and triple checked the timer and the data files. It legitimately was turning the fastest laps in the last 2 races. The way I process lap times any lap that is too fast (timer error) or too slow (missed a lap) is not used just to make sure no errors get into the race file. Average lap times were around 9.3 seconds, but the 'Cuda was turning laps consistently below 9.0 secs during the last 2 races. Once again, all cars are using stock motors, wheels, axles, and gears.

Once again, every lap was actually run on my road course. Spins and deslots where the car had to be reset resulted in time penalties, typically 2 - 8 seconds depending on severity. In the last race the Javelin flipped over in turn 3, went across that track and fell through an opening in the table - which resulted in a 30 second penalty. In real life an accident like that would have totaled the car. This method makes it fun to have lots of cars and spend hours collecting lap times. When I'm driving a car I try to be the actual driver - in this case Swede Savage was unbeatable in Pepsi62's Cuda.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby texasleaguer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:36 pm

We here at TL Racing would like to thank Slothead for running this series. While the Cougar failed to deliver the goods in the series we have high hopes for it in its new endeavor, delivering pizzas for a local place called Tony's, whose motto is "YOU'll GET IT WHEN WE GET THERE". We feel the Cougar will fit right in with Tony's current delivery record.
texasleaguer

Postby arroldn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the tutorial.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm

I don't have any favorites when running the cars, but I'm also not disappointed that the best looking Trans Am car I have claimed the championship. The SCX 'Cuda doesn't have a great reputation for speed, but with PG tires it just hooked up on my track. In fact, all of the cars got faster, or maybe just handled better, as the series moved along.

If urethane tires can 'rubber up' a MDF track with flat gray latex paint over the course of around 3,360 race laps, perhaps that explains it.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby arroldn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Slothead,
My Stock SCX Cuda has been hanging pretty close in the Trans Am Proxy. It is in 17th out of 34 02 class cars. Oh it's also running Paul Gage tires. That's not half bad to be right in the middle of the pack with just a pinion change to an 11 tooth. I may have went to high in the gearing. My other two cars are on Super Tires and are geared 2.76 H&R powered and 3.27 Pioneer powered. I'm definitely in the next time you do this.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you for run this series.
My son and myself are happy to were in!

Not winning, the series but at least two victories!

Happy at Vonsirius racing.
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pepsi62 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Victory for Team Cuda Australia!!! :music-rockout:

many thaks to slothead for running this interesting concept, I think its a great idea and its seems to highlight the importance of staying in the slot and being consistant, not necessarily the fastest.

also have to thank Arroldn for jumping ship and leaving the driver seat vacant. When I first read the thread I wanted the Cuda as it was the only SCX and I the only Aussie,also as we race a lot of SCX cars down here in my club, mostly in Trans Am and of course Nascar and some GT. these 42 B motors can sing and they also like a little bit of extra voltage too

Congrats to all the other round podium getters and the ones that made the overall
This was quite fun to be invokved in and I will definatley be in for the next series if it's on

Wayne
Pepsi62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hksk25 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

As I predicted, my driver was a frontrunner!! He couldn't even "bump" Chappy out of the spot ahead of us. My chances at landing Dale Jr as a driver, if we do this again, look 50-50 at this point. Really enjoyed this series. Thanks for running it.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale