American Graffiti 1962 - Update finally 09/03

Got Wood?
Your ROUTED TRACK Home!
Share Your Designs, Building Techniques & Finished Layouts!

Re: American Graffiti Track - 1962 - Update 07/14 Routing

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:07 am

This is an exciting project.
Looking forward to seeing the story unfold.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MoparGreg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 am

Thanks for looking guys. Yeah dye there is going to be heaps or scratch building on the track. Loads of buildings & scenery. Then theres the cars. For my plan to work Ill need to build about 30-40 cars for the track. I need to get cracking!
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BEEK511 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Great cabinets! that track is going to look really good man, and I really like the theme !
BEEK511

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 am

Ok so a bit of an update, I built my flippers in readiness for when I need them. I just need to solder some wires to them & they will be ready. I wanted to keep these lanechangers simple, less to go wrong. I tested them with some dodgy wiring & they seem to work well. Im suprised as I feel a bit out mf my league when it comes to electronics. Just hope they function as well when its all up & running. I know pretty much zero when it comes to this stuff. Ill take some more pics of them once they are wired. The way I plan to do it is any wire coming off the lanechanger will have a quick release crimp plug. So that way if/when they play up I can remove the whole assembly within seconds. Also I should mention these flippers will be powered so there will be no dead spot on them when the cars run over them. Also a small spring will connect to the shaft of the solenoid the flipper back to the original position once the button is released. To mount these changers to the track I will simpily just screw the whole assembly, MDF & all to the underside of the track. A hole the size of the flipper will be cut out of the track. The Height of the flipper from the small MDF block is 12mm, which is the same thickness as my mdf track. So the flipper should be nice & flush with the track surface, its easily adjusted to fine-tune it if needed.

Heres another solenoid that I have that I had planned to originally use. These are a very different animal & will need a different setup. I may build these & test them out. Whats great is the way I have setup the lane changes it will be as simple as unscrewing one & screwing in another. The solenoid is huge, about the width of the mdf block on my lane changers above.

Also I did not like the high sides on my track cabinets to keep the cars on the track. I have cut the sides of the cabinet down flush to level of the track surface. Looks great, now to work out a way to keep the cars on the track & off the floor in a way that looks realistic, scenic wise. Look out for another update on the weekend.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: American Graffiti Track - 1962 - Update 07/18 Lane Chang

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks shoutgun, I sure do hope it turns out the way I have planned. Just taking my time with it.

The cars will have a mixture of chassis from MJK sidewinder, scratchbuilt chassis & maybe a few H&R. Most of the cars that will be built for this track wont have H&R chassis under them but they will mostly all have H&R parts. I dont use the H&R chassis as they are inline & I dont want to modify or cut out the rear seat in the interior as I want these cars to be as realistic as possible. I use H&R chassis on my Transam & Vintage Nascars though. One of the newest cars Ive built for this track, the aqua 56 dodge has a scratchbuilt chassis with H&R parts. This is probably what most cars will have.

In saying that I find the H&R complete chassis great value for money. Yes it does add up but Im happy to pay $40 for a complete chassis. The MJK sidewinder chassis that I have on some cars are $30 just for the bare chassis.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Greg, those changers look way too cool! Glad to hear you'll be using them. I can't wait to see this thing progress!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RazorJon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm

you mean the money you gave Harry for slot lessons
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:22 pm

So on Sunday I spent the whole day on the track, apart from playing with the kids here & there. I got alot done, it was great to spend the whole day. I cant recall the last time that I spent the whole day on slotcar related things without worrying about what jobs needed doing around the house. So I finished routing the track. Filled in all the nail holes from the routing strip & sanded it back. Then cutout the holes for the flippers. Then I finished cutting the high sides down so they are flush with the track surface. Just cutting the sides of the cabinet down took about 2 hours as I did it with a handsaw as I couldnt use any power tools because of the corners. Talk about dead-arm!

Its funny the room the track is in, in my house is the only room I have not re-painted the walls in. We cant decide on a color for the room. Man I hate that suede effect the previous owner painted on the walls, hate it like a passion! Theres my next job around the house!

Here it is-

Cutouts for the lane changers

With a flipper in place

Next up Ill screw the track down & paint.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: American Graffiti Track - 1962 - Update 07/22 Routing do

Postby dge467 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm

That looks great Greg! This is going to be a cool track for sure.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Ember » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:25 pm

So.... I'm guessing no suede effect for the track then. :D
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby RazorJon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Greg you are making me want to do some Routing

I like the 1 lane changer idea.
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby MoparGreg » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for the comments

shotgun - Yeah it does feel good, it will feel even better once its wired & up & running

dge - Hopefully it will be cool. It will all come together when the scenery start going in.

Lynne - No suede effect on the track. I plan to use David & Lee's method. I found an old tin of grey from my first track in the shed so Im good to go. Im not against suede effects on a slotcar track just on walls in a house.

Jon - Do it! Once you go wood you will never go back. Yeah Im hoping the 1 lane change will work out. It should be fun anyway. Originally I wasnt going to install any lap timing but I have a laptimer from an old track in a box. I may as well hook it up but wont use it often. Fun is the key!
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 am

Greg, this is very cool and it looks great so far. Great idea for a scenic track!
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Greg, it is looking awesome so far!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby MoparGreg » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Ok everyone, talk about the never ending track. Progress is slow, very slow. I have all the parts needed now but have been stumped. I need some help!!!!

I am looking for some ideas on what sort of barriers I can use around the front of my track to keep the cars on the track & not falling on the floor. I have been trying to think of a barrier that -

A) Strong, so if the kids are leaning over the track they wont break
B) Something realistic that you may see downtown US in the 50s/60s. That will suit the era of the track. Realism!!!
C) Not to close the track in to much & restrict photo opportunities around the track
D) Keep the cars on the track & not on the floor

Im probably asking for to much to want all that in a barrier. I was thinking some perspex/Plexiglas but you dont really see perspex around the town do you. Anyway looking for ideas as I have been thinking about this for weeks now & come up with nothing. See the photo attached for the area I have to work with. Its the whole front area where the bare MDF strips are is where the barriers will go. The MDF strips are basically the curbside. The 2 sides & back is fine as that will be buildings.

Thanks for the help, I need it!
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The Lumber Yard