Pioneer Endurance Car Proxy Round #2

Pioneer Endurance Car Proxy Round #2

Postby midagekid1 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Initial Race Report for Round #2 by midagekid1

I went over to the location where the Pioneer cars will be racing in the next few days for Round #2 and took a ton of pictures of the cars and the Carrera 65 foot track...these will be posted asap...what was interesting were the number of repairs that were completed on the cars. The host (Idle Time Racing) made a list of all the repairs completed for each car. This racer is an excellent builder in all aspects of the hobby from making brass chassis`to machining his own crown gears and is a Jedi Master in this hobby. I will include the list of repairs when I do my next posting. There were lots of loose tires as well as gluing spoilers, grills etc. back on.. The cars were all gone through one at a time and checked out very well. The wheels were repaired in a very neat way.. each wheel was given a slight twist to see if they were loose. If the wheel was loose when checked, it was taken off and a tiny hole was drilled from the inside hub to the outside, then the wheel hub and axle were cleaned of any contaminants. This was completed by using lighter fluid being dropped into the hub and flowing through the tiny hole on the outside to flush out any gunk. Then the wheel was completely dried off before the next step. Crazy glue was added to the axle and a bit was dropped into the hub. When the wheel was squeezed on, a very tiny bit of glue came through the hole on the outside of the wheel, ensuring that the glue made it all around the hub and axle. We all know if you try to glue a hub back on just by dropping glue into the hub and there is no way for the pressure to be released, glue usually squirts out from the hub and you might get a good bond but usually you don't. Also when the wheel was pressed on, a spacing tool was used to accurately leave enough space between the tire and the plastic spacer that is on each wheel. If two wheels were loose on the same axle, each wheel was repaired separately. Sound like quite a bit of work but it went quickly... It was noticed if there was split in the hub, it was usually at the seam where the two pieces of the plastic hub were joined together and failed at that point. The only answer to that is when the hubs were molded and the pieces were joined together, the seam part probably was not hot enough or was cooling to rapidly to allow for a good bond. As we all know, most of the plastic parts are made in mass production. This is only a hypothesis so I don`t have conclusive proof but that seems to be where the split usually is. The final bit of news is that the cars were qualified and the results will surprise a lot of people involved in the Proxy. These will be posted as soon as I am able to. That`s the race report for today.
Last edited by midagekid1 on Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midagekid1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Pioneer Endurance Car Proxy Round #2

Postby eightwheels » Thu May 03, 2018 4:13 pm

That is quite a process to repair loose wheels. I thank you for fixing my front one and all the working to keep the proxy going in full force :text-thankyouyellow: .
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot GT » Thu May 03, 2018 5:38 pm

A shout out to the host of this 2nd round for doing all the repair work etc.

Above and beyond I'd say. Well done :text-bravo:
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Thu May 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the update. Hats off to our host for all the extra work.

:text-thankyouyellow:
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pepsi62 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:03 am

looking forward to this one, many many thanks to the host for taking time to repair all the issues with the cars, it's very much appreciated
:text-bravo:
Pepsi62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby tin_indians » Fri May 04, 2018 5:20 pm

It might be an idea that as the cars move on from location to location, that the wheels be checked in the same fashion at each new track. It appears the plastic hubs are a weak point and if you true your tires on a Razor, you are putting extra down pressure on the hub when truing. jmho.
A big shout out to Idle Time and MidAge for using their own personal time to ensure the racing continues without having to tell racers that "their cars are broken and can't progress" :text-bravo:
tin_indians
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Mahalo...I mean thank you!
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midagekid1 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:52 am

This is what everyone has been waiting for...the qualification results.. Cars will be listed in qualification order as well as any repairs completed on that car. All cars were run on the same lane at 10.5 volts for 3 minutes by 1 driver who is the track owner. The results for the most part have changed over from Round 1 which was on a wood track. Round 2 will be very interesting on the Carrera plastic surface. Good luck to all racers as the formal race will be held this Wednesday night.

STOCK CLASS REPAIRS IF NEEDED

1. #37 TIN_INDIANS 4.843 BOTH REAR WHEELS WERE LOOSE AND REPAIRED
2. #18 RACER944 4.850 NONE
3. #14 RACER944 4.963 NONE
4. #62 PEPSI 62 4.994 RIGHT REAR WHEEL WAS LOOSE AND REAR SPOLER LOOSE. BOTH REPAIRED
5. #25 SLOT GT 5.149 NONE
6. #1 ARROLDN 5.177 FRONT GRILL WAS GLUED BACK ON
7. #35 ALOHA 5.222 NONE
8. #21 IDLE TIME RACING 5.224 NONE
9. #8 8WHEELS 5.232 NONE
10. #13 BEAST LEE 5.325 NONE
11. #15 MIDAGEKID1 5.447 RIGHT FRONT WHEEL WAS LOOSE AND REPAIRED
12. #77 DIGITAL SPRINGER 5.750 NONE
13. #66 DEWMAN51 5.981 REAR GEAR SIDE WHEEL LOOSE AND REPAIRED. BOTH HOOD AND TRUNK DECALS REATTACHED AND FRONT
GRILL WAS GLUED AS IT WAS LOOSE

MODIFIED CLASS

1. #79 ARROLDN 6.216 NONE
2. #27 RADARAK 6.333 NONE
3. #7 8WHEELS 6.441 ALL FOUR WHEELS WERE LOOSE AND REPAIRED. REAR SPOILER AND REAR VALENCE WAS ALSO GLUED BACK
ON.
4. #15 MIDAGEKID1 6.603 NONE
5. #17 SWEETPEA 6.648 NONE
6. #33 BRUMOS 6.754 NONE

STOCK QUALIFIERS IN ORDER

MODIFIED QUALIFIERS IN ORDER

IDLE TIME RACING SPEEDWAY (TRACK SHOTS OF THE CARRERA FOUR LANE)

THE EDMONTON REVELL SLOT CAR CLUB CAME FOR A VISIT AND GET THEIR SPACE BEFORE THE BIG RACE.

THE EDMONTON CHAPARRAL SLOT CAR CLUB ALSO CAME OUT.

MEDICAL CREWS ARE ARRIVING ON SITE AND ONE SLOT CAR ENTHUSIAST HAD TO BE CARRIED OFF. NOTE THE CONTROLLER IN HIS HAND.

FORK LIFTS ARE ALSO ON SITE

Last edited by midagekid1 on Sun May 06, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midagekid1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sat May 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for the qualifying run. Supply notes if possible so the #33 can become more competitive next season. That #79 is hauling the mail....... :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-nx:
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Sat May 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Great

Way to go Arrold. Congrats on another pole position. Well deserved. I know Pat and I can be sure that whatever repairs were need they would be top notch repairs. Looking forward to the race next week. Watch out Arrold I'm coming for you haha.

Eric well done as for rookie or maybe you are not a rookie..... who knows that guy ? lol....

Brumos... 0.5 second spread across our class... I would say everything can happen... that will be close racing for sure

Best regards
Dariusz aka radarek
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Sat May 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Good luck
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby midagekid1 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Brumos:

I will get some feedback from the drivers during this round for you.. from what I saw, the car is very competitive and anything can happen during a race, especially since we are moving to a plastic track. Yep that #79 Charger is a beast!!! I wish I could have performed an forensic autopsy on it to see what was under the hood and learn it's secrets!!!!
Who would have imagined that a charger could be built to run like that.. gives me hope. lol :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :text-bravo:

midagekid1
midagekid1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pepsi62 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 pm

excellent work, the 62 is back! looking forward to the racing now
Nice track too, looks rather technical and would suit netter handling cars
Shame there isn't a charger in the stock class, would have been interesting to see if the longer wheelbase would have been competitive
Pepsi62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Sat May 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Thank you to the team for the work on the cars. Love the pictures especially what resembles me on the stretcher .... absolutely love it. Arroldn hats off to you my friend
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby eightwheels » Sat May 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Tight qualifying in the stock class. Look like that will be a close one to watch. In the modified class could you check out the #6 front end rims, it was posted that it had a lose wheel in the last race. Thanks for the help . :text-thankyouyellow:
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Pioneer Endurance Car Proxy 2018