[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Beyond this upcoming season... (2020)

Beyond this upcoming season... (2020)

The legendary proxy race.

Beyond this upcoming season... (2020)

Postby k0z0oo1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am

As had been discussed at our old location, for 2020 DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series will be replacing the COY class with the Scalextric 1980s Stock Cars. There are already 4 Monte Carlo decorations out... and even more re-paints popping up, and I’m hopeful there will be a running mate by then as well (we will have to wait and see)

Rules are being discussed, and I will post what we were looking into. Basically keeping the cars close to stock, with the option for wheels/axels, gearing, guide, etc. 18k motor (likely either the 18k H&R Hawk or SCC Gator)

The one place I feel needs to be addressed would be the front axle loops. They seem very chintzy, and may not be able to take the abuse a proxy car gets. Maybe allowing the SCC axle blocks or something similar to replace them... just thinking out loud.
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Beyond this upcoming season... (2020)

Postby REL13 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:58 am

I to think the front axle loops may not hold up to the abuse in proxy racing. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Well did a quick test of the 2020 GN car stock. All I did was put on some 1404YDs. They were not glued. Car stock weighs 83.9 grams. 20 laps 1.02.12 FL 2.91secs. Added 10 grams of lead to the rear. 20 laps 1.02.16 FL 2.90 secs. So weight so far didn't slow the car down. Now can this car get down to 57-58 sec times of my Hawk powered 2019 COY cars? We will see as we move toward 2020.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Scott, By any chance I can change my number from 17 to 13 in the 2020 season? I know It's a little early, But I want to make sure before someone else asks. REL13 :text-thankyouyellow:
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:15 am

For the 2020 season, I think in the COY class We should stay with the 18K motors, using the H&R and the Gator. The front end looks weak to me, I think we should have the option to use SCC blocks to beef up the front, As we don't know who will be driving these cars, and I like the idea of bring able to change wheels, gears, guide flags, and being able to add weight. Now for the COT class. first thing is I don't have a car in this class, But I drove these cars at two tracks, Ivoryton Raceway and the Manure Pile. And I can say they were a challenging. I think they have to much motor for some of these smaller tracks. If you look at some of the qualifying times, You will see that the top three cars in both classes are pretty close. At lease at these to tracks. So maybe you could limit the RPMs down to 21K or something.30K, 27K and even 25K seems to be to much. Remembering we don't know who is driving these cars, Making them more drivable may save your car. This is just my option. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:14 am

Robert, are you speaking about the current COY class or next years possible 80s Stockers?
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes, I am talking about when the COY class starts running the 80's stockers, I thought this was the last year for Gen 4 cars. and we will be running the 80's next season in 2020. I guess I thought it was a done deal. That's why I was talking about the weak loops in the front end of the 1986 Monte Carlo. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 pm

k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 pm

I recall Arrold referred to the 80's stockers as Grand Nationals. I like that moniker, I would recommend Grand Nationals as the new name for the proposed class to possibly replace the COY cars. That also creates an opportunity to rename the COT class to possibly Cup. Both Grand National and Cup are NASCAR titles for past and present classes of cars. Makes sense to me. Chime in with opinions please.

As for the Monte Carlos, I agree that the SCC front axle blocks would be a great idea.
GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby REL13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm

GTOKing, That sounds like winner to me. Let's see if anyone else chimes in on this. REL13
REL13
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:16 pm

I like Grand Nationals
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Today got my copy of NASCAR The Complete History for my birthday. In 1950 the premier division of NASCAR was called the Grand National Division. The Winston Cup Grand National name was used from 71-85. In 86 the premier division was given the exclusive name Winston Cup. At that time the Grand National name was assigned to the Late Model Sportsman Division which became the Bush Grand Nationals, Nationwide and today the Xfinity series. The body that Scaley is producing is the 86-87 model. The division was now called Winston Cup until 2004 when it became the Nextel later Sprint Cup. Sprint gave way to Monster Energy in 2017. The COT body hit the tracks in 2008 with the wing and returned to spoilers in 2010.

So to be accurate the new Scaley Class should be called Winston Cup cars. I will be fine with either name Grand National or Winston Cup.

If you are allowed to model the car into a flat rear window as the 83-85 had the Grand National title would apply. You may have actually had 84-85 models running in 86 and they did since the rules back then allowed you to run a 3 year old body. The bubble window was used on the Chevy and Pontiac to compete with the Ford Thunderbird and Buick Regal.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to DaVols Forums Cup Proxy Series