[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Postby studioRS » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

What advantages to adding weight on the chassis are there? I can see the possibility of needing it on the front if the chassis is deslotting, right? Add a ton of weight to the rear on this RSR and it will be tail happy right? Isn't lighter = faster?
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:17 am

I haven't gotten to the "weighting" part yet - as I am still in the "waiting" part yet for putty / glue / etc to dry... :)
The good news is, the front valence extension is on, the broken vent window upright is fixed and I am on round two of void elimination and it is shaping up nicely! If all goes well, I will have mine in the first coat of primer in a couple days. :D
(Chassis is going to the track to get some laps on it this Wednesday - won't have a body for it - but it will be good to see it making laps.)
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:31 am

You're in for a surprise, Todd. I never used this motor/chassis combination before, and though I have used these chassis for years, this is remarkable. Who knew to try this? Wow.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby studioRS » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:20 am

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fumey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 am

Weight placement has many variables - traction , COG , driving style , etc.. Some guys swear by the 40/60 balance . Some guys think a well tuned car doesn't need weight . A little in front of the motor on a sidewinder may cure fish tailing . A little on the bottom of an inline may cure tipping . Experiment . Or if you think your car handles well now , leave it - you may have already hit the sweet spot with your balsa wood and copper !
Last edited by Fumey on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fumey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 am

By the way , the car looks great ! But do you have any idea how you're taunting the proxy gods with that mirror ? Those rarely make it past shipping ! :lol:
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 am

I couldn't resist either. The pictures had mirrors, so I painted one and pegged in on there, knowing I might not ever see it again. But I did make sure I have another one just like it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby studioRS » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:37 am

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Well, we sure can't do it after the last race! LOL.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Here's a little trick taught to me by Luf (Oldslotracer) our local slot car guru. When you want to experiment where to place weight, tape a quarter onto the car and test it in various positions. Where it feels best, that's where you want to add your weight. Also draw a triangle between the guide and the rear tires, and keep the weight inside that triangle.

You guys sure are having fun getting ready for this proxy.

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I experiment for weight and weight placement by using modelling clay. It sticks where you want it, and adjustments are quick and easy.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fumey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 am

In typical Fumey build fashion , CA debonder spills over the interior side of the windshield .Looks like a giant bird pooped on my windshield . Superfine sandpaper and Future tonight . Had to tell someone who'd understand. :violin:
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:36 am

We share your pain. Somebody on HRW years ago had a clear spray that was mislabelled and when the whole body was just right, he sprayed that perfect car with what turned out to be dullcoat. It took hours of superfine sanding to get the windows clear again. Then Future finished the save and the crisis was over. Oh yeah, that was me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Fumey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks ShotgunDave , but I think I can sand it out . Besides , if that's the only hurdle I have to overcome on this project , then that means my modeling skills have just improved a little bit . So far , this has been a very enjoyable build , and I'm glad I entered . I think it's really cool the way the modeling aspect is just as important as the tuning aspect in this proxy . In fact that's what I like about HRW - it seems to bring out the modelers :music-rockout:
Fumey
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 pm

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!