Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Re: Slot Car Corner '73 IROC Proxy - Builds & Usual Chatter

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Bibbster is exactly right, ya know. That is exactly the color of Rock Hard after curing and sanding.

And BTW, I think that Indy roadster project is going to be the race of the century. Just sayin'. Its all thanks to Dave in California, ya know.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby studioRS » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:49 pm

I still can't believe I got Aubergine. I swear I didn't have anything to do with the colors, those were all the Wizards doing. Although, read my wishes and posts "hoping" (ok, well they were more like demands… :pray: ) that I'll get Aubergine. But, still.

I guess it's not what you know, but who you know. The only messing I did was to send in the dark force, which seemed to work! Muhaahaaa!

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:36 pm

The strawberry color is going to be the tough one to match (Fraise). Bibbster might chicken out and just do any pink, but the strawberry color is going to be tough to do without custom mixing. Aubergine is so rich, it won't be simple, either. Speedster, SRQ, Turbokev and Sadco are also under the magnifying glass. Its going to be fun to see what creative work produces those.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby studioRS » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:38 pm

:lol: The little HRWSPP elves say (of course they've been sippin' the maple syrup again and tugging at my leg), "the color is not known as pink, but "Fraise" in French translates to strawberry in English". JB, if I didn't want Aubergine so badly, I'd have been very happy with Fraise too. Porsche paints all the go fast special 911s they made this color!

024 Fraise, looks to have more red in it than white?

You could also paint it "Rubystone" as used on the 964 Carrera RS Clubsport Cup cars and I won't tell the elves :shhh: . Changes color with the lighting too. So, make it the darker shade?

It really is a special Porsche color, just trying to help you get all pumped up over it. If there is ANYONE here that can make the paint schtick, it's you JB. note: make sure to send all future paint work to das miester.
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:55 am

6 days without a Porsche post??!!

I know we are all in 'wait mode' but I'm having a hard time waiting! LOL

Any updates on ship dates ??
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 am

We're waiting on some things so that we can ship the wheels, chassis, parts ect, to Dave. Once he gets them, he'll turn around and ship them out to the respective owners...

BTW-I got the Acid Blue car with Denny Hulme at the wheel... :D
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby studioRS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 am

Sorry for slacking off on my usual Porsche RSR inspiration guys… :doh: I'll try to make up for it.

It's official! SCC is now changing all their corporate identity to Acid Blue, mascot will be a Porsche RSR!

Acidblau (Acid Blue) POR L305

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:13 am

That one and the light blue are my favorites..

turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am

I was able to start on prepping the RSR body Dave sent me (I had the first one for scaling the decals) and took out my xacto #11 with 60w soldering iron. Heated up the tip of the xacto blade and cut out the window details. With the resin 'window tape' gone, the only thing I've noticed is the fragility of the resin in the A pillar and small quarter window pillar. This is in now way any of Dave's fault, just the nature of resin compared to plastic. This is my first resin build and of course, like a knucklehead, I cracked the quarter window pillar and B pillar right at the top next to the roof on the drivers side :shhh: :doh: .

A quick dab of CA glue and kicker fixed it. But, looking at improving the toughness, what to do? I realize the lexan window will add to the strength, but how much?
I recommend a couple things…
- Using CA glue and adding wire, possibly a paper clip and or similar to the inside of the A pillar, B pillar and 1/4 window pillars.
Or (best idea)
- Rough up the resin finish on the inside and spray glue some 300 thread count cloth down, soak with CA glue, let it dry then cut out the windows again. In my experience with RC sailplanes and needing to toughen up a surface without adding too much weight, this method works really well.

Thoughts?

Working with the RSR body, it truly is a peice of art, Dave knocked it out of the park on this one. So far I've carved out a second exhaust hole and filled the little thin bubble holes with Tamiya white putty. Still need to get after the wheel wells and remove excess resin from the mold process, getting ready to start sanding the body soon.

Cheers, Thompson

Windows cut out with 'hot knife'.

Detail of windows after xacto blade touch ups, and using my German files.

studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Sweet! Update pics!!!! Looking forward to getting mine to start on as well! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Retro Racer 44 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:10 am

Looks good! Dave, your bodies are getting better all the time, and we all appreciate your low prices. Air bubbles are an easy fix. I look forward to buying one of these Porsche bodies from you, but as you saw, I have a few projects ahead of it to finish first.

Cheers,

Keith
Retro Racer 44
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby turbokev » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Lucky number 7.. All mine :mrgreen:
turbokev
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Awesome Dave! ps… please double check to make sure a set of 4 Fuchs inserts are in my box #8, thanks again =)
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby studioRS » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Looking forward to applying these, should be better than the paper mock ups I made. :roll:
studioRS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 am

Sweet deal!
Looks like I will have to do a momentary pause on my Wienermobile proxy build when this hits the door step - can't wait to get started on it! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!