[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Maverick Proxy Race #6 is in the books!

Maverick Proxy Race #6 is in the books!

PROXY Racing! A place to post race events, rules, reports & general information.

Maverick Proxy Race #6 is in the books!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:30 pm

I have to say it again - what a great field of cars!!!!
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:

I assisted Aronn (APalmer) in the running of race number 6 at Mark's Model World.
This race was run on the second four lanes of the flat UK Black Road course and I have to say that the difference in turn radii from the first four lanes definitely mixed up the field in comparison to race #5! :)

The spreadsheet that Rusty put together has had the raw data uploaded and is currently being sorted (by Rusty) to show the new rankings and should be available for viewing shortly...
Link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

Qualifying was done in "Black" lane by Mark Kitto (track owner, multi-year HORPA National Champion and all around great guy!)
The order or of qualifying was simply the way the cars were unpacked from the "big box".
As can be noted in the spreadsheet - there were some changes in the qualifying order with the differences in lanes!

Here is a couple shots of the cars as they were lined up in their qualified positions waiting for their turn on the lanes!

Racing honors were awarded to:
Black lane - Mike Dolanski (regular Wednesday night racer at Mark's Model World)
Purple lane - yours truely!
Yellow lane - Apalmer
Blue lane - Frank Jameson (regular Mark's Model World racer)
A special "Thank You" has to go to one of the newer members here on the forum - Slot Therapist! (thanks again for the help Terry - it REALLY helped smooth out the transitions and data collection!!!)

Running these cars was definitely a good time!
I REALLY wish that we could have gotten the video to work as there was some really great racing! In fact in one particular heat, the car in the black lane and the car in the adjacent purple lane ran quite literally door to door for over a minute with neither car being able to get more than 3-4 car lengths ahead of the other! (It was really cool to see just how closely matched they were!)

When everything settled out, the podium had some fresh faces on it!
Congrats to our podium finishers!

The rest of the field's finishing order shown from left to right around the podium:

And lined up left to right on the track... :)

If all goes well, I will be posting a combined "impressions/review" of the cars and how they ran this weekend.

In the mean time - I would like to congratulate everyone on some great looking and driving cars!!!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: Maverick Proxy Race #6 is in the books!

Postby Slot Therapist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 pm

It was my pleasure Todd. Couldn't agree with you more. All of the cars were very equal, but unique. Driving style definitely had to change for every car. Good strong field gentlemen.
Slot Therapist

Postby SRQSloter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Great photos Todd!! :handgestures-thumbup:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

DixonJohn is going to eat this one up.

Thanks for the effort and report. I think there is a typo on the spreadsheet as it showed my car with 1 win. It should be DixonJohns right below me.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby SRQSloter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:49 am

SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:54 pm

We definitely had fun with it and our track owner Mark definitely enjoyed it too!
The cars were great and I am definitely looking forward to hosting again in the future!
Still really glad that was made a "requirement" to participate in this proxy!

Great bunch of cars guys!!!!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:39 pm

Dave -
The plan is to get them mailed out this weekend. I had family in visiting and I am doing some agreed upon repairs to one of the cars that I am not quite done with. But they will be southern bound soon as I am looking forward to the next installment as well! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby SRQSloter » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 am

Last edited by SRQSloter on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 pm

OK - now that the holiday, family from out of town and vacation are out of the way, I wanted to post overall impressions, comments, etc regarding this great fleet of cars!

Please note, the upcoming comments, pics etc are a combination of the comments made by the drivers, spectators, etc from both my race and APalmer's run. :)

Before getting into the individual reports, I did want to mention that the cars are showing a little "evidence" of the racing action and transport. In fact my car showed up here to Ohio with the A post broken at the roof line. :doh: Nothing that a little CA didn't mend - but to that end, I thought in addition to the impressions and chassis shots, etc I would also provide some overall shots of each car in detail so that the car owners can see how they are fairing. :)

In regard to the cars themselves - one of the things that we all noticed, was that in addition to a WIDE variety of chassis designs, there was a pretty notable variance in the overall car weights. I thought checking them and sharing the data with the group would be kind of interest. Listed below are the weights of each based on current position in the standings, verses by weight, as I thought the results of that were a bit more interesting. :)

Car #---Builder---HRW Name---Weight in grams
4--------Rusty-----SRQSloter-----------122.9
5--------Kev-------turbokev------------107.4 <--- Lightest
8--------Phil-------filsautobody--------113.5
1--------Jeremy---bibbster------------137.4
16-------Harry-----HRW----------------122.7
5--------Lee--------ListerStormGT----112.6
31------Todd------TuscoTodd---------129.3
3-------John-------DixonJohn----------115.9
5--------Dave------ShotgunDave-------140.2 <--- Heaviest
11------Don--------Austin---------------112.6
17------David------RMS/dreinecke----137.9
31------Arron------APalmer------------129.5

For reference - Average:--------------123.5

Unfortunately, I don't have a pair of scales to allow a reporting of the front/rear balance, but maybe that can be checked by one of the next hosts. Based on handling the cars, I think there may be as much variance in the balance as there is in overall weight. :)

Next up will be pictures and impressions!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:03 pm

First up - SRQSloter's car!

Comments from our driver's / track owner / fellow racers who helped marshal and watch the action...

Chassis: Everyone that saw the chassis on this submission was truly impressed with the craftsmanship! One of the Ohio-Penn Retro series drivers that stopped by to check out the action even commented that he wished his builds looked this clean!

Body: The Bud Moore inspired paint job was a big hit!

Driving: Smooth, smooth, smooth! The car was extremely predictable and well balanced. It didn't have as much straight line speed as a couple of the entries - but it more than made up for it in the big sweeping corners where it was easy to "lean on" the car's capabilities a bit.

Pictures:

Last edited by TuscoTodd on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Next up - turbokev's car!

Comments from our driver's / track owner / fellow racers who helped marshal and watch the action...

Chassis: The Slot.it chassis looked right at home under this car and also helped it come in as the lightest in the group! A number of us had never seen the chassis kit before, so it was interesting to see just how versatile it looked to be. Also - more than one of us took note of your front body mount set up! Nice, light weight and robust! Pretty slick!

Body: Sharp looking color scheme and the attention to the window trim, door handles and even the door locks definitely catches your eyes! But probably the most talked about part was the front air damn with the relief for the guide - very cool integration!

Driving: Light, nimble, fast car - not as easy to drive consistently as some, but very quick to react to any changes in throttle. To quote one of the drivers "This is a driver's car! I like it!"

Pictures:

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:08 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Next up - bibbster's car!

Chassis: Very uniquely designed chassis! Between the open center (bringing thoughts of the 1/24 Slick 7 style lexan warriors) to the narrowed rear that captured the rear gear and then went up to form the rear mount to give a nice amount of body float - it was definitely a cool approach!

Body: The two-tone green, set off by details like the silver window trim, white side pipes, rear deck fuel filler and white letter tires definitely made for a sharp looking combo!

Driving: Unfortunately, the rear captured gear design needed a little TLC to finish out the racing here in Ohio as the "coffee grinder" returned. :(
What started out as a bit of gear noise on braking at the tail end of race 5 turned into a wheel hop inducing gear shredding machine by the end of the second lane of race 6.
After a new crown gear, the addition/replacement of the motor screw and ultimately the replacement of the pinion gear as well, all is right again and she should be ready to plant the power down for the next race! :D
The comments about the cars handling prior to the gear issues were that it was very smooth and stable through the corners and that the rear seemed to be VERY planted/hooked up on the track.

Pictures:

Chassis with new crown / old pinion yet...

And with the happy shiny new pinion ready for action!

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Next up - HRW's car!

Chassis: The chassis had a couple of us doing a double take! Harry's "paint it black maybe they won't notice" approach had the casual observer thinking it was plastic with the use of the box tubing! Upon closer inspection though, it is a very light weight/strong brass set up! Very slick!

Body: Lots of details on this car all come together to make for a "Ready to Race" look! The side pipes and white letter tires definitely got thumbs up from the group!

Driving: Could be driven deep into the corners, but did not like to be powered out of them. Overall seemed to have a good neutral balance that favored the bigger sweeping turns verses the tight turns. Not as easy to drive near the edge as some of the cars - but could be driven VERY consistently just shy of the limit.

Pictures:

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Next

Return to The HRW Proxy Forum!